Programming with Bourne or C shell

Adam Fabian afabian at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 31 19:38:41 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 09:20:22PM -0600, Michael Madden wrote:
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/
>
> Are most FreeBSD users still using csh or tcsh has their interactive
> shell and sh for programming?  I think it would be nice to use the
> same interactive and programming shell for consistency.

It's been my impression (in other words, this is all speculation based
on my statistically-insignificant interaction with other FreeBSD
users, reading the mailing list, etc.) that most FreeBSD users have
Bourne shells (bash, ksh93, pdksh) for interactive use and scripting.
Old-school users occasionally use tcsh for interactive use, and almost
no one scripts anything with csh/tcsh.

I wouldn't read too much into the defaults of any program.  Lots of
good UNIX programs have relatively poor defaults, in my experience.
In any case, you will always have some Bourne-based shell on anything
vaguely UNIX-ish, but may not have a csh-based shell.
--
Adam Fabian (afabian at austin.rr.com)