re portmanager, how to prevent upgrade of held ports

Michael C. Shultz reso3w83 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 31 15:35:33 PST 2004

On Friday 31 December 2004 09:49 am, nbco wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am trying out portmanager-0.2.2, on a 5.3-RELEASE box.
>
> I have openoffice-1.1.3.20040810 installed.  I don't want to upgrade
> openoffice at this time, as I don't have the space for a full compile
> and will wait for a new package.
>
> I have set openoffice to be held in pkgtools.conf in /usr/local/etc.
> Portupgrade honours this setting. Portmanager doesn't, therefore
> every time I attempt to run portmanager it tries to compile
> openoffice-1.1.4.20041101_1
>
> I have looked at portmanager and cannot find a way to prevent it
> updating certain ports, and it doesn't honour the hold_pkgs in
> pkgtools.conf.
>
> Any ideas as to how to make portmanager ignore held ports?
>
> This problem makes portmanager unusable for me, as it updates
> openoffice first, so it never actually gets to the smaller out of
> date ports.

Portmanager has no way to ignore ports that need updating,
but others have also requested this feature so I will implement it in
version 0.2.3.  It may be a few weeks before it is ready because I am
taking advantage of the port freeze and making fairly extensive
changes.

There is one thing you can do in the mean time as a work around if you
still want to use portmanager:

If you were to move /var/db/pkg/openoffice-1.1.4.20041101_1 (assuming
that is the version you have installed) directory to someplace safe,
like in your home directory then portmanager nor any part of the ports
system would know openoffice-1.1.4.20041101_1 is installed. This will
only work for a port that is not a dependency for another port so only
if no other ports depend on openoffice-1.1.4.20041101_1 will this work.
When you want to upgrade it then move the directory back
to /var/db/pkg.

 You can also create a ports/local/editors/openoffice-1.1which is a bit
more involved and way more elegant, I will be happy to explain only if
you are truly interested.

-Mike