Mounting smbfs

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Fri Dec 31 07:45:28 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Fitzpatrick" <robert at webtent.com>
To: "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 10:19 AM
Subject: Mounting smbfs

> Familiar with Webmin way of mounting smbfs type file systems on our
> Linux boxes, I tried it with one of the FreeBSD 5.3 machines. It works
> fine, but when rebooted, it sits waiting for a password. After
> investigating a bit on the web I found that FreeBSD is uses the
> /etc/nsmb.conf file for configuration and in that file I find
> information evidently setup by Webmin, for example:
>
> [spc2k:backupexec:backup]
> workgroup=SPCLOCAL
> password=xxxxxxxxx
> addr=192.168.1.13
>
> First, was this properly setup by Webmin? From the comments in the
> file,
> it looks good. Since I am at a remote location, I had someone locally
> just hit Ctrl+C during boot to get back in and look at these things. I
> go to Webmin and click to mount, but then it wipes out all the mount
> points except the one I clicked and does not mount that one. From
> looking around the web, I realize Webmin may not be the best way to
> manage this, I found this document:

> I am looking for something that can guide me on how to make the
> entries
> in my fstab file. I assume what I have now below is incorrect as the
> boot up fails as previously mentioned.
>
> //backupexec at spc2k/backup  /home/backup/Veritas/SPC2K  smbfs  rw  0  0
>
> Can someone help or guide me to some more documentation on this?
>
> --
> Robert
> --

Make your fstab entry something like this:

//backupexec at spv2k/backup      /home/backup/Veritas/SPC2K   smbfs
rw,-N,-I=192.168.1.13     0       0

See how that works for you.

--

Micheal Patterson
TSG Network Administration

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments,
copies of the original message.