FreeBSD server(s) to backup multi-platform systems remotely

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Thu Dec 30 11:47:10 PST 2004

On 12/30/2004 8:13 AM Danny wrote:

>On 30 Dec 2004 09:52:30 -0500, Lowell Gilbert
><freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
>

>>And there's actually a *third* possible goal, which is quick recovery
>>of accidentally deleted (or overwritten, etc.) user data.  UFS2
>>filesystem snapshots are a remarkably easy way to provide this.
>>

>This would be nice, but I am not going to get that granular at this
>point. Thank you for the reminder, though.
>

>>And then there's RAID, which doesn't solve any of these problems, but
>>can help you get back up fast after losing a disk.
>>

>Hardware RAID, yes, for hardware failure. Got that covered.
>

>>Each of these goals has a different "best solution," and in some cases
>>the solution even depends on the details of the environment.  Figure
>>out exactly what you need before deciding how to fill that need.
>>

>>From a backup point of view, my goal...
>
>On a nightly and automated basis - to take a snapshot of all new and
>modified data from a FreeBSD server and Windows server. Then compress
>and hopefully encrypt the data and send it to a remote FreeBSD server
>through some form of efficient and secure file transfer. Uncompressed
>the nightly data may total ~20MB.
>
>>From a restore point of view, my goal...
>
>To be able to download the compressed backup(s) from the remote server
>and restore the previous days data.
>
>Hopefully this explains my situation.
>
>Thank you,
>
>...D

Have you looked at the Bacula port?  The compression can be handled by
Bacula.  If you set up tunnels, that should handle the encryption part.
Once you get used to the way Bacula works, it's fairly easy to use.  You
have a central machine that is the "director" and initiates and
coordinates all of the backup jobs.  You also have a "storage daemon"
(which can be on the same machine as the "director" or another machine
altogether) which stores all of the files.  You can also have multiple
storage daemons if you wish.  And finally, you run a "file daemon" on
every client you wish to backup.  There are clients available for many
different OSes.  I use it to backup two FBSD boxes and 2 WinXP boxes to
file volumes.

Take a look and you might find it will meet most of your needs.

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse

http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com