FreeBSD server(s) to backup multi-platform systems remotely

Dave McCammon davemac11 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 08:31:35 PST 2004

--- Danny <nocmonkey at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 Dec 2004 09:52:30 -0500, Lowell Gilbert
> <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> > And there's actually a *third* possible goal,
> which is quick recovery
> > of accidentally deleted (or overwritten, etc.)
> user data.  UFS2
> > filesystem snapshots are a remarkably easy way to
> provide this.
>
> This would be nice, but I am not going to get that
> granular at this
> point. Thank you for the reminder, though.
>
> > And then there's RAID, which doesn't solve any of
> these problems, but
> > can help you get back up fast after losing a disk.
>
> Hardware RAID, yes, for hardware failure. Got that
> covered.
>
> > Each of these goals has a different "best
> solution," and in some cases
> > the solution even depends on the details of the
> environment.  Figure
> > out exactly what you need before deciding how to
> fill that need.
>
> >From a backup point of view, my goal...
>
> On a nightly and automated basis - to take a
> snapshot of all new and
> modified data from a FreeBSD server and Windows
> server. Then compress
> and hopefully encrypt the data and send it to a
> remote FreeBSD server
> through some form of efficient and secure file
> transfer. Uncompressed
> the nightly data may total ~20MB.
>
> >From a restore point of view, my goal...
>
> To be able to download the compressed backup(s) from
> the remote server
> and restore the previous days data.
>
> Hopefully this explains my situation.
>
> Thank you,
>
> ...D

I haven't caught all of this thread but I'll share
what I do.
I use rsync to sync file to a server for backup.
6 FreeBSD and one Win2K which have been set up to
rsync at different times in the morning hours.
On the Win2k machine, I have cygwin running that I use
to rsync the data over every night. I think there is
rsync for windows but I liked the command line
capabilities that cygwin gives me.
All use ssh in the rsync.

So after the night rsync's, I'll have a copy of files
on the backup server's harddrive and will also have a
copy on tape. Tape runs in morning after all servers
have sync'd.