Xorg-6.8.1 +glib +i810 +FreeBSD4.11-STABLE

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Thu Dec 30 02:44:53 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 12:50:23PM -0800, mac tipper wrote:
> Has anyone found a fix for all the busted apps this
> "upgrade" has caused?
>
> ~>uname -v
> FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #0: Sat Dec 18 05:00:01 EST 2004
>   root at STABLE.localhost:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/STABLE
>
> ~>firefox
> expr: syntax error
> [: -eq: unexpected operator
> Segmentation fault
>

> : ~>gkrellm
>
> GThread-ERROR **: file gthread-posix.c: line 137
> (g_thread_impl_init): error 'Invalid argument' during
> 'pthread_getschedparam (pthread_self(), &policy,
> &sched)'
> aborting...
> Abort
>
> And the list goes on.
>
> I saw one message
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=15110+0+current/freebsd-x11
>  that suggests,
> "This seems to be due to applications using the weak
> symbols in for stub
> thread functions in libX11 rather than the real, but
> also weak, ones in libc_r.
> It can be temporarily worked around by building a
> libX11 with UIThrStubs.c removed
> and using LD_LIBRARY_PATH to direct the affected
> applications to it."
>
> And another one that says switch back to Xfree, or
> downgrade, but I've not found info on cvsup and
> downgrading ports, or switching back to Xfree.

I've not seen the specific problems you mention, but have seen various
other oddnesses since upgrading.  So unusable is my machine now that I
have bitten the bullet and am downgrading to 6.7.0.  Check out
portdowngrade in sysutils/ - it has proven its worth on several
occasions.

As someone mentioned yesterday, switching back to XFree86 is probably
not to be recommended - Xorg is now the officially endorsed X11
implementation, and in time anyone still running XFree is likely to run
up against problems as the two code-trees diverge.

I intend to keep an eye on the lists and see what happens - I'm sure
that before long, the port maintainers will work their magic and fix the
brokenness anyway, and we can all upgrade safely.

HTH

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \