superfluous libraries?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Dec 29 10:44:11 PST 2004

Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> writes:

> 	While running portsclean I got this:
>
> Cleaning out /usr/ports/packages...
> ** /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.3 is shadowed by /lib/libcrypto.so.3
>         /lib/libcrypto.so.3     <- ?
>         /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.3   <- openssl-0.9.7e_1
>  --> This may be an undesirable situation
> Leave /lib/libcrypto.so.3 (specify -i to ask on this)
>
> ** /usr/local/lib/libssl.so.3 is shadowed by /usr/lib/libssl.so.3
>         /usr/lib/libssl.so.3    <- ?
>         /usr/local/lib/libssl.so.3      <- openssl-0.9.7e_1
>  --> This may be an undesirable situation
> Leave /usr/lib/libssl.so.3 (specify -i to ask on this)
>
> 	Is there any reason not to delete the versions that came from
> openssl-0.9.7e_1?  Obviously I don't want to delete the port, but
> these particular files?

It sounds like you don't want to use the port's version of the
libraries.  If that's the case, you *can* delete the port.  If you
want to be using the port, you could remove the base system's copies
(or overwrite them; I think the port has a knob to do that).

If you want to sometimes use one and sometimes the other, then the
easiest course is probably to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH accordingly.