quick help ...

andrei admin at zeyas.com
Wed Dec 29 09:53:07 PST 2004

Thank you .. this has been a great help but still have 2 problems
after installing kde i went on the website and made the changes:

in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession               and added
kde)
       exec /usr/local/bin/startkde
       ;;
                                        i am running only kde
then ... it said to go to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Xsetup_0        and add

/usr/loacal/bin/kdmdesktop

then i went in /etc and in the ttys file i have changed

/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm to   /usr/X11R6/bin/kdm  and from off to on

those were all the changes i have made and i also added exec startkde
in .xinitrc

there is a login manager but when i log in kde is not starting up and
still no "gui" kde in the user andrei only root ...
                  Thank you and hopefully i can make this work ...

I added it but then on request i have removed it and curiously there is
no kdmdesktop in the bin directory for some reason

Hi!

1. Well instead of pressing enter you can let the timeout occur.
Standard is 10 seconds. If this is still too long add the following line
to /boot/loader.conf:

autoboot_delay=SECONDS

However I would not go too short here, since you might want to able to
go to i.e. single user mode.

2. If I understand that right you want a graphical login right from the
start?! To do this edit the file /etc/ttys. In the line of your login
manager like xdm or kdm make sure it's says "on", like:

ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure

3. I dont know what you did with Xsession or Xsetup_0 (I left mine
default) but if you want your user andrei to use KDE simply add

exec startkde

to his

.xinitrc. That should do the job.

HTH

Cheers,

Ben

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 23:34, andrei wrote:
> Hi guys .... i was able to get the kde installed and i must say ...
was
> beyound my expectations ... but the only thing that i was unable to
> get/understand is:
> 1. When i restart my computer i get a screen with 7 options ... i just
> press enter for the defaul and it enters FreeBSD ... do i have to do
> that every time i restart or there is a quicker way?
> 2. I don't get a logon screen i still have to log into root or andrei
> and use startx (since i couldn't find sessions in login manager (under
> system administration).
> 3. My user account which is andrei doesn't have a Gui (kde since is
the
> only one installed and the only one that i'll use. ... i have modified
> the Xsession (added just kde) and Xsetup_0
> (added /usr/local/bin/kdmdesktop) and ttys (changed the xdm to
kdm) ...
>  I appreciate all the help given and hopefully after getting the user
> work i'll be able to figure thinks out b myself/research more) ...
Keep
> up the good work (and on a personal note does gates use a *nix
platform
> in his house with all that shit going on there? ... i mean hell ..
with