Installing Apache 2.0

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Wed Dec 29 08:22:14 PST 2004

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 09:55 am, Fernando Matzdorf wrote:
> Help!!
> I recently downloaded version 2.0 of the Apache server from their
> website, and I tried to install it to my system using pkg_add but was
> unsuccessful (maybe it's not a package but I can't tell). I
> downloaded it on a Windows XP computer, burned it to a cd, then tried
> to install it on my FreeBSD computer, because configuring my WinModem
> on FreeBSD is practically impossible. The file I downloaded is named
> httpd-2.0.52.tar.gz. I unzipped it, so it was now named
> httpd-2.0.52.tar, and tried the same thing, but didn't succeed again.
> I read somewhere that you have to run these commands:
>
> # cd (to the directory with the source code)
> # ./configure
> # make
> # make install
> # make clean
>
> so I burned all the files to the CD instead, but when I try the first
> command the terminal says the command is not recognized. I don't know
> what to do anymore. If I sound like a real newbie it's because I am
> (I've been using FreeBSD for less than a month), so any help
> whatsoever would be appreciated, and feel free to point out all of
> the things that would seem obvious to you because I'm compltely
> clueless.
>
> Thank you very much!!
>
> Sincerely,
> Fernando

You should become familiar with the online handbood and with FreeBSD's
ports system, which makes the installation of thousands of applications
quite easy.  You will find that Apache2 is included in the ports.  The
section of the handbook regarding the installation of applications can
be found here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould