Wierdness with different programs, and installs of perl* that requires compiling with cc...

Martes Wigglesworth martes.wigglesworth at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 29 02:45:05 PST 2004

Greetings list.

All of a sudden, I am experiencing wierd functionality with my
5.2.1-Release installation.  My perl compiles don't succeed, due to the
following error.  nsl is on Solaris, and I have never had an issue prior
to a few days ago.  I was planning to reinstall, after backing up my
data, and I just decided to try this list, in case others have had
similar problems.

Error:

> cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5
> sudo make install
===>  Configuring for perl-5.6.1_15
First let's make sure your kit is complete.  Checking...
Would you like to see the instructions? [n]
Locating common programs...
Checking compatibility between /bin/echo and builtin echo (if any)...
Symbolic links are supported.
Checking how to test for symbolic links...
You can test for symbolic links with 'test -h'.
Good, your tr supports [:lower:] and [:upper:] to convert case.
Using [:upper:] and [:lower:] to convert case.
3b1             dynix           isc             nonstopux       stellar
aix             dynixptx        isc_2           openbsd
sunos_4_0
altos486        epix            linux           opus
sunos_4_1
amigaos         esix4           lynxos          os2             svr4
apollo          fps             machten         os390           svr5
aux_3           freebsd         machten_2       posix-bc        ti1500
beos            genix           mint            powerux         titanos
bsdos           gnu             mips            qnx             ultrix_4
convexos        greenhills      mpc             rhapsody        umips
cxux            hpux            mpeix           sco             unicos
cygwin          i386            ncr_tower       sco_2_3_0       unicosmk
darwin          irix_4          netbsd          sco_2_3_1
unisysdynix
dcosx           irix_5          newsos4         sco_2_3_2       utekv
dec_osf         irix_6          next_3          sco_2_3_3       uts
dgux            irix_6_0        next_3_0        sco_2_3_4       uwin
dos_djgpp       irix_6_1        next_4          solaris_2       vmesa
Which of these apply, if any? [freebsd]

Some users have reported that Configure halts when testing for
the O_NONBLOCK symbol with a syntax error.  This is apparently a
sh error.  Rerunning Configure with ksh apparently fixes the
problem.  Try
        ksh Configure [your options]

Operating system name? [freebsd]
Operating system version? [5.2.1-release]
Build a threading Perl? [n]
Build Perl for multiplicity? [n]
Use which C compiler? [cc]
Checking for GNU cc in disguise and/or its version number...
Now, how can we feed standard input to your C preprocessor...
Directories to use for library searches? [/usr/lib /usr/local/lib]
What is the file extension used for shared libraries? [so]
Build Perl for SOCKS? [n]
Checking for optional libraries...
What libraries to use? [-lnsl -lgdbm -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt -lutil]
What optimizer/debugger flag should be used? [-O -pipe -mcpu=pentiumpro]
Any additional cc flags?
[-DAPPLLIB_EXP="/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/BSDPAN" -fno-strict-aliasing
-I/usr/local/include]
Let me guess what the preprocessor flags are...
Any additional ld flags (NOT including libraries)?
[-Wl,-E  -L/usr/local/lib]
Checking your choice of C compiler and flags for coherency...
I've tried to compile and run the following simple program:

#include <stdio.h>
int main() { printf("Ok\n"); exit(0); }

I used the command:

        cc -o try -O -pipe -mcpu=pentiumpro
-DAPPLLIB_EXP="/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/BSDPAN" -fno-strict-aliasing
-I/usr/local/include -Wl,-E -L/usr/local/lib try.c -lnsl -lgdbm -ldl -lm
-lc -lcrypt -lutil
        ./try

and I got the following output:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lnsl
I can't compile the test program.
You have a BIG problem.  Shall I abort Configure [y]
Ok.  Stopping Configure.
===>  Script "Configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please report the problem to tobez at FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach
the
"/usr/ports/lang/perl5/work/perl-5.6.1/config.log" including the output
of
the failure of your make command. Also, it might be a good idea to
provide
an overview of all packages installed on your system (e.g. an `ls
/var/db/pkg`).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.

I have also noticed that my installs of mplayer, current and pre5 all
crash when I try do anything on the X desktop with opening/refreshing a
minimized windows. It says something about bad CPU/RAM/FPU usage.  I
know this is not an mplayer forum, however, I have noticed that crash at
the same time that I noticed that I was unable to compile perl, due to
the lack of -lnsl not being found.  I know that nsl is for Solaris,
however my problem is that I don't have significant enough knowledge
yet, to begin playing around with such "search" settings, so I know that
I have not changed the option, which is the most obvious solution.

Any help would be much appreciated.
--

Respectfully:

M.G.W.