Looking for 'ideal' web-server partitions

Joshua Lokken joshua.lokken at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 15:25:31 PST 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:33:04 +0100, Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish at planet.nl> wrote:
> I want to create a web server for a few personal web sites (virtual named
> hosts) using Apache, Perl, PHP and MySQL. Maybe later using mod_perl and
> ssl.
>
> No mail servers or other complicated stuff, just a plain-vanilla web server
> for the general public and an average visitor traffic of below 1000 per day.
>
> I have 40G to use up on an AMD Sempron 1300+ with 512MB and was just
> wondering what would be a good way to divvy up the partitions. I was
> thinking something like this:
>
> SWAP            1024M
> /               1057M
> /db             6.3G
> /usr            24G
> /var            4.2G
> /www            42G
>
> I've heard arguments for and against a separate /db and/or /tmp partition as
> well as using a /home. Also I see that there is a /usr/local/www directory
> already so perhaps the /www partition is not required. Is a separate /db
> partition really needed?
>
> I'm pretty confused and would like to setup my web server the right way once
> and for all. Are there any standard recipes and/or guides to figuring this
> out or is it just a bunch of guess work?
>
> How does this look?

A root partition of 128M ought to be just fine, though you may
want to put /tmp on a slice of its own.  It looks like you plan
to put databases and htdocs on slices of their own as well, so
/var can be much smaller; I generally use a 256M /var slice,
and have had no problems with space for logging.

24GB is a nice, fat /usr slice.  You could easily trim that back,
since again, it appears you plan to store db and www on unique
slices.  Maybe something like:

SWAP 1024M
/           128M
/tmp      256M