libintl.so.6 & stpcpy

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Dec 28 14:30:22 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 05:14:31PM -0500, David Coder wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Dan Nelson wrote:
>
> :Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:35:06 -0600
> :From: Dan Nelson <dnelson at allantgroup.com>
> :To: David Coder <dacoder at dcoder.net>
> :Cc: questions at freebsd.org
> :Subject: Re: libintl.so.6 & stpcpy
> :
> :In the last episode (Dec 28), David Coder said:
> :> lots of port installations are failing for me on one system running
> :> 5.3 #0 because stpcpy in /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.6 is undefined.
> :> where should it be finding the definition?
> :
> :stpcpy is in libc in the base system, not libintl.  What error message
> :are you getting?
> :
> kerouac1# cd /usr/ports/x11/startup-notification/
> kerouac1# make install
> ===>  Building for startup-notification-0.8
> gmake  all-recursive
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.6: Undefined symbol "stpcpy"
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.6: Undefined symbol "stpcpy"
> *** Error code 1

I'm guessing the application was originally installed on 4.x before
you updated, then you rebuilt gettext after you updated, so libintl
picked up the fact that stpcpy exists in libc.so.5, but your
application is still linked to libc.so.4.

We don't provide this kind of mixed 4.x/5.x binary compatibility, so
you need to recompile or reinstall everything that links to the
libraries you updated (or just recompile everything, which might be
easier since otherwise this problem will recur with the next library
you rebuild).

e.g. portupgrade -fa

or

portupgrade -faPP