Streaming, real time MRTG solution?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Dec 28 10:06:32 PST 2004

You can query snmp data as fast as the snmp manager on the
device your querying will spit it back to you.  And you can
redraw the mrtg graph as fast as the hardware can run the
computations to redraw the pretty graphics.  However there
are practical limits.  What would you rather have the CPU
in your hub/switch/router do - run the snmp manager or
move packets from one interface to another?  most switches
and routers I've worked with don't have the CPU power to run
the snmp manager at the frequency that you want to have to
make it look 'real time' and still do the job they are supposed
to be doing.

real time output is an illusion here.

Ted