Kernel Panic

sp0ng3b0b sp0ng3b0b at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 28 09:51:46 PST 2004

Steven Adams wrote:

> I started with FreeBSD 5.2.1, every few weeks I was getting kernel panics.
> I then tired to update to 5.3 with the same thing, see the screen shots.
> http://66.90.65.210/crash1.jpg
> http://66.90.65.210/crash2.jpg
> Does anyone know what theses means. I am curious to why its not rebooting
> after a kernel panic, I was under the impression that's what's suppose to
> happen.

1. You must compile some options into your kernel that will make it
reboot if it panics.

options	KDB
options	KDB_UNATTENDED

2. Look at the "current process" in your panic message. It reads bge0.
That is you NIC, right? Something in FreeBSD 5.3 changed and I get
similar panics but with nge0 (my NIC) as the current process. I did not
get these in 5.2.1 or any other version. It looks like the problem is
either some global change made to NIC drivers or the kernel itself. I've
never had kernel panics on my hardware.

I too posted to the list, but I have not recieved a response. I don't
think I got it to the right people. I also opened a problem report on
the freebsd website, but no one has touched it.

For now, I have to go back to 4.10.

Hope that helps.