Trouble determining configure options in ports

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Dec 28 08:03:53 PST 2004

"Jonathan Reeder" <jreeder at minutemenu.com> writes:

> I'm trying to install the samba3 port, and I'm having trouble figuring out
> whether or not the --with-pam config option is being set.  I've looked
> through the Makefile in /usr/ports/net/samba3, but I have to admit its not
> making all that much sense to me.

It says that --with-pam is always set, and that --with-pam_smbpass is
set if you select the appropriate option in "make config".

> I really don't want to install samba from source, but it doesn't appear to
> me that --with-pam is being set by ports' Makefile, since I don't have a
> /etc/pam.d/samba file when all is said and done.  Can anyone offer me any
> pointers?

"pkg_info -L"?

> I guess a broader question is, how can you control the options that you
> could normally set in ./configure when installing via ports?

If they're useful options, the port Makefile will usually support
them, including any localisation to make them work on FreeBSD.  If
not, you can add them to the CONFIGURE_ARGS variable yourself.  See
the Porter's Handbook if you need more information on how to tweak a
port.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/