What version

Peter N. M. Hansteen peter at bgnett.no
Mon Dec 27 23:04:17 PST 2004

Dan Thomas <tommis at direcpc.com> writes:

> A friend gave me a laptop with a Pentium 100 and 24 megs of ram.  It only
> has a floppy drive.  What version of FreeBSD do you recommend and would you
> send me the link to download it.

First, you should realize that this is seriously outdated hardware.
Installing any kind of modern software on it will be a challenge. You
did not tell us if the machine has a network adapter, but it is probably
safe to assume it does not, unless you can get a PCMCIA card which
FreeBSD recognizes. If you can get the machine to boot with a network
adapter (ethernet), you should be able to do a basic network install.
If that does not work, your only option is via floppies, and you really
do not want to do that. The process is described in the README.TXT file
on your friendly neighborhood FreeBSD mirror somewhere near the boot
floppy images. Summing up, unless this is the kind of challenge you were
longing for in the first place, I don't think it's worth the effort.