Printer

Parv parv at pair.com
Mon Dec 27 18:46:37 PST 2004

in message <20041227193742.GC22614 at keyslapper.org>,
wrote Louis LeBlanc thusly...

> Some newer Lexmark printers do support standard protocols, but I
> went and spent $80 for a Lexmark color printer several years ago
> that spent more time working as a doorstop than a printer.  They
> used - and still do for some printers - proprietary protocols, and
> release their own drivers - you guessed it - for Windows only.
> And sometimes not even for all versions of Windows.  My one
> Windows system was NT, and it wasn't supported.  At the time, I
> was a Linux user, and even the reverse engineered Linux drivers
> weren't able to get it working.

Lest somebody gets the wrong idea that all Lexmark printers behave
as descried above, my Optra E310 laser printer -- US$[23]00, 199[89]
-- is still going strong.  It worked/works in Windows 9[58], Me, XP.
It of course just works, like a PS printer, in FreeBSD 3.x, 4.x, and
sure would in 5.x.

> I'll never buy a Lexmark again, and if given one, I'll immediately
> put it on EBay or just give it to my front curb.

It will be a HP or Lexmark laser printer for me.  The one that does
double-sided printing cheaply [cw]ould be the deciding factor for
me; print-server would be a bonus.

Mind that i am interested mainly in sharp and clear black/white text
currently.

  - Parv