Upgrade to 5.3-STABLE broke X?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Dec 27 17:57:29 PST 2004

Was running 5.3-RELEASE (from CD) on R31 Thinkpad, when I decided to take
advantage of the excellent upgrade guide posted here recently by Richard
Bejtlich, and give -STABLE a spin, followed by a "portupgrade".  Now, it's
unclear at what point the breakage happened, because one followed the
other straight away (I know, a big mistake).

Anyway, after what seemed like an eternity (and probably maxing out my
ADSL link in the process) everything finished, and I fired up "X" (X.org,
which I had originally, so no issues with XFree86 etc as mentioned in
UPDATING).

Obscure error messages:

(EE) I810(0): Failed to allocate HW (ARGB) cursor space.
(EE) I810(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

This used to work, so what broke?  I can't even run xorgcfg either, for
the same reason!

I note that Xorg went from 6.7.0 to 6.8.1, and I poked around wiki.x.org
hoping to get release notes etc, to no avail - the links are broken.  It
also offered the advice of running "xorgcfg" (see above), or sending mail
to xorg at freedesktop.org (which turned out to be a mailing list to which
one has to subscribe).

Under the "Known issues after updating" page, it says "to be found and
written down..." (I kid you not).

What do I do now?  Reinstall FreeBSD?  Install XFree86 instead?  Somehow
downgrade to 6.7.0 until wiki.x.org gets its act together?

Do I need some hitherto-unneeded kernel options?

-- Dave