fBSD on Duron

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Mon Dec 27 05:47:04 PST 2004

Cristi Tauber wrote:

>Vadim Maksimenko wrote:
>

>>Do you get kind of these messages at boot time?:
>>

>     I got just the first line ....
>
>npx0: [FAST]
>
>  then it stops . Setup hangs with no other error. the CPU in at 1600Mhz ....
>and is not overclocked !
>
>                          Cristi

I'm assuming your trying to install freebsd...

Have you tried verbose logging and safe mode from the boot menu yet?
Next step, Download a copy of the FreeBSD boot only i386 iso and check
that the md5 checksums match before you burn it to CD, after it's burnt
verify the data. and then try booting that.
Next step, set all BIOS setting to there defaults (safe defaults, not
optimized defaults) and disable acpi/power management in the bios.
Next step, disable all non essential (non essential to boot) options in
the bios, floppy drive controller, cpu L1 and/or L2 cache, bios
shadowing, video shadowing, Gate A20, enable long post test, USB
controller, sound (if onboard), system bios cacheing, video bios cacheing
video cacheing etc. etc..
Next step, remove all non essential components from the computer, the
only things you need are cpu, mainboard, ram, video, keyboard (this ones
optional), and a cdrom drive to boot from, everything else needs to go.
Next step, move the cd-rom to the primary IDE channel or swap out the
CD-Rom drive and/or switch to primary IDE channel, also jumper it to
"master".
(most of the steps below are not likely as you said it was "running
winXP smoothly" before)
Next step, underclock CPU and RAM.
Next step, swap out or play with the RAM (if you have multiple sticks).
Next step, try a new mainboard or try a new cpu.
Next step, try a new cpu or try a new mainboard.
Next step, try a new cpu and a new mainboard.
Next step, The problem is the power supply or the video card as there is
nothing else you can do.

>>npx0: [FAST]
>>npx0: <math processor> on motherboard
>>npx0: INT 16 interface
>>
>>If yes, ACPI is next that may be cause of a problem.
>>If no, Duron is not compatible with FreeBSD or vice versa. I hope, it is not
>>overclocked in your box.

"Almost all i386-compatible processors are supported. All Intel
processors beginning with the 80386 are supported, including the 80386,
80486, Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Pentium III, Pentium 4, and
variants thereof, such as the Xeon and Celeron processors. (However,
FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE and later no longer support the 80386SX processor.)
All i386-compatible AMD processors are also supported, including the
Am486, Am5x86, K5, K6 (and variants), Athlon (including Athlon-MP,
Athlon-XP, Athlon-4, and Athlon Thunderbird), and Duron processors. The
AMD Élan SC520 embedded processor is supported. The Transmeta Crusoe is
recognized and supported, as are i386-compatible processors from Cyrix
and NexGen."