a quick question ...

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Sun Dec 26 17:18:07 PST 2004

andrei wrote:

>Hi, my name is Andrei and I have recently purchased FreeBSD from BSDMall and
>I ran into few problems. I am a windows user but i have some experince in
>Linux BUT, I got rid of my windows machine and installed FreeBDS. After the
>install for some reason i log into root and i use the startx command since i
>get no GUI interface and i get 3 pannels (light green bar and white
>background and a clock at the top (it looks like a 16 bit OS or something).
>Can you tell me what could be wrong ... any help will be apreciated. (i am
>gladly getting rid of windows and i am probably not give up easily that is
>why i would like some help) ... Thank you for the time taken to read my
>email and helping me. My system is 3.06Ghz intel, all in wonder ati 9700
>pro, 200Gb WD, 1Gb ram, cd-rw 52x24x52, dvd-rw 4x2x32, sound blaster audigy
>2.

Yea you need to install a desktop environment (Gnome, KDE, Xfce, etc)
and then setup X, It looks like you already have X setup as you can get
to the default twm window manager.  What you need to do now install a
desktop Environment and then tell X to use it instead of twm. Everything
you need to know is documented in chapter 5 subsection 7 of the FreeBSD
Handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html