web server permissions question

Jay O'Brien jayobrien at att.net
Sat Dec 25 19:52:59 PST 2004

Bill Moran wrote:

> Sounds like your links are pointing to the private IP address, which
> isn't accessable from the Internet at large.
>
> If this is the case, fix your links.  Otherwise, please provide some
> more information about the symptoms.  I doubt there is any sort of
> permission problem.

Bill,

The problem links are shortened relative links. See my additional post
with more symptoms that I posted before I realized you had responded.

As you suggest, changing the links to add a trailing / "fixed" the
problem, and if I didn't want to use existing web pages with shortened
relative links without the trailing / character, it wouldn't be a
problem.

I would like to understand what is causing this to work the way it is.

Jay