Freebsd non-profit stat OT

Andrew P. infofarmer at mail.ru
Sat Dec 25 15:31:47 PST 2004

Nikolas Britton wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>
>> I was looking at the bsd site and noticed the Quarterly Report was
>> out, and in this report
>> it states we are in danger of losing the non-profit status. Please
>> read this report.
>>
>> http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/press/20041221-newsletter.shtml
>>

> Yes, I saw that yesterday, they need to rise $30,400, the max for any
> single person or entity is $8000 to meet the required 1/3rd rule. My
> only question is why they waited till now to raise 30 grand, someone
> dropped the ball on this one. Sent them your money and do it fast (umm
> like today) as the deadline is 6 day's away:
>

> The FreeBSD Foundation accepts donations via check:
>
>       The FreeBSD Foundation
>       7321 Brockway Dr.
>       Boulder, CO 80303
>
>  or PayPal:
>
>       http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donating.shtml
>
>  Checks must be postmarked by December 31st. to count toward the
>  advanced ruling period.

Could they finally work out some new ways of payment? I'm from Russia -
I can't use Paypal and I can hardly get any checks. I supported Mozilla
foundation with my Visa card, and I'd like it very much to send a few
bucks to FreeBSD every now and again.

Popularity is a big deal. I could never understand why this organization
(not community) was not aiming at getting more users and supporters. I
mean, this is the best OS I've ever seen. And while I don't even
remember how or when I first heard about it, I'm sure there are
thousands out there, who'd be glad to become FreeBSD fans, but they just
don't know anything about it. Just put a few nice pictures and
screenshots on the website, and people will get attracted.

Same thing with money. I don't want to order your CD's, cuz they can get
lost on their way, and if they don't, I won't be expecting them until 50
days pass (that's how long I'd waited for The Complete FreeBSD until it
came). I just want to pay, say, $10 a month with a Visa card. Not much,
but I'm not alone. Look at Firefox - a much smaller project can raise
$100k in a week. Can't we?

Best wishes,
Andrew P.