portupgrade time, xorg ports

Jay O'Brien jayobrien at att.net
Sat Dec 25 10:14:36 PST 2004

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 01:54:04PM -0800, Jay O'Brien wrote:
>

>>I ran portupgrade -a -N -vu -rR, and it tried several times
>>to fetch X11R6.8.1-src1.tar.gz, each time taking over an hour,
>>and when the file failed, it failed showing a checksum mismatch.
>

>>I tried it again today, and it was able to fetch the three
>>remaining files. SLOW. I have a DSL connection, and usually
>>see 1.5MB speeds or more. Two of the files came in at 6kBps,
>>one at 26 kBps. This Portupgrade session, including downloading
>>the files detailed below, took 3 hours and 38 minutes; 1.5 hours
>>was spent just downloading the three files.
>>
>>>From the script file of the session:
>>=> X11R6.8.1-src(#).tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in
>>/usr/ports/distfiles/xorg.
>>=> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R6.8.1/tars/
>>
>>files fetched and time for download:
>>file                    size    end speed    time
>>X11R6.8.1-src1.tar.gz    29MB   6510 Bps     80 min
>>X11R6.8.1-src6.tar.gz  3106kB   6298 Bps      8 min
>>X11R6.8.1-src2.tar.gz  5672kB     26 kBps     4 min
>>
>>I have two questions:
>>
>>-Is this typical to see such slow download speeds
>

> Sometimes; it's not unusual for a popular ftp site to be heavily
> loaded.  There are various variables you can set to control fetching
> from different sites; see the ports(7) manpage and the comments in
> bsd.port.mk.

Wow. And after I decode that somehow I have to know an alternate site.
It appeared to me that as it was fetching from x.org (see above) that
the ftp site was not something I could change.  6500 Bps is much
slower than an ancient dialup connection; a big waste of time, it
appeared, as I am not using X at all.

>>and for the
>> portupgrade process to take so much time?
>

> X is a large set of applications, so it's going to take a little while
> to compile it all :-)
>

>>-I didn't install xorg. Why are the 16 xorg ports present?
>

> I don't understand what you're asking here.

In my install of FreeBSD I did not select any flavor of X at all, and
I would like to learn why it was installed "by default".

> Kris

Thanks for your answer, it has pointed me at more things I didn't know
were there that I have to learn about.

Jay