portupgrade vs. portmanager

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Fri Dec 24 07:54:09 PST 2004

On Friday 24 December 2004 07:38, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> On Thursday 23 December 2004 11:16 pm, Jay O'Brien wrote:
> > Michael C. Shultz wrote:

> > > portmanager doesn't require the INDEX files to keep ports up to
> > > date, so the refuse file is a non issue with it.
> > >
> > > -Mike
> >
> > Sounds good. What's the downside, if any, to using portmanager
> > instead of portupgrade?
>
> All of your ports will be built with the correct dependencies, they will
> work better leaving you less to complain about in the mail lists and so
> you will become bored.  Because everything is working exactly as it
> should you may begin to think you are a Maytag repair man, nothing much
> to do, just always setting around waiting for something to break.....

I don't use portmanager myself, but isn't it the case that portmanager
rebuilds not just ports that have newer versions in the ports tree, but also
all ports that recursively depend on those ports.

I just updated kdehier with portupgrade in about a minute. The whole of KDE
depends on kdehier, so presumably portmanager would have taken several days,
and kdehier isn't particularly unusual. I would see that as a major downside.

When it's necessary UPDATING will suggest running portupgrade  -rf to force
rebuilding. That kind of UPDATING entry is in a small minority, which
suggests to me that most of the problems with ports don't stem from the
sequence of their updating, so I can't see how portmanager is any kind of
magic-bullet.