Effective ipfw rules for blocking MSN Messenger ... ?

Tom Connolly tomc at cqg.com
Thu Dec 23 14:51:26 PST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Chuck Swiger
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 3:33 PM
To: Marc G. Fournier
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Effective ipfw rules for blocking MSN Messenger ... ?

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> I just setup a FreeBSD box for a router, so that I could make use of
> ipfw to block MSN Messenger traffic ... but I'm having a bugger of a
> time finding a "definitive" list of what needs to be blocked :(

I believe that MSN Messenger dynamically allocates ports.  I know this
is true for audio and video communications.  The standard SIP port is
5060 if that helps.

Tom

One more thing to clarify.

I think by blocking the SIP port you could stop Messenger from receiving
contact presence information and hence, block Messenger.

Tom