Explore FreeBSD filesystem under Windows?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Dec 23 06:14:02 PST 2004

Brian Astill wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:39 am, Joshua Lokken wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:20:40 +0200, P. B. S. <avenger at vip.bg> wrote:
>>
>>>How can I do that?
>>>explore2fs is for ext2/3 only.
>>>
>>>I want to copy files from my FreeBSD filesystem (UFS2, I think?)
>>>using Windows.
>>
>>http://us1.samba.org/samba/
>>
>># cd /usr/ports/net/samba3
>># make install clean
>>
>>Then you can share your FreeBSD files over Samba, and have
>>access to them from your Winboxen.

> That's fine for two separate boxes, but has no hope whatsoever is the
> Windoze and FBSD OSs are in the same box (perhaps even on the same
> drive).

Ah.  A crucial bit of information that was missing from the original
post.  Standard practice in that case is to create a partition on the
system with a filesystem that both OSes can read and write.  Between
Windows and FreeBSD that boils down to msdosfs, or in Windows-speak
FAT32. (FAT12 and FAT16 are also supported, but why on earth would you
want to use them if FAT32 works?)

See newfs_msdos(8), fsck_msdosfs(8), mount_msdosfs(8), msdosfs(5)

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                       School Rd