Bandwith info command

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Dec 23 05:05:52 PST 2004

Ben Washington-Yule wrote:
> What command can I use to see what is using the bandwith on my 56kbs
> dialup internet connection?

If you want to see what's using the bandwidth *right now*, then
something like:

     # tcpdump -n -i tun0

(Nb. if you don't turn of DNS resolution using -n, you'll almost
definitely conclude that it is DNS traffic that's eating all your
bandwidth).

If you prefer a more graphical interface, ethereal (ports: net/ethereal)
is a good tool.  Or you can use ports like tcpflow or tcpshow if the
output of tcpdump isn't to your taste.

If you're more concerned with monitoring usage in the long term, then
look into network monitors like mrtg or nagios + nagiosstat or cricket
which will produce graphs of time series data -- note, some scripting
and general fiddling about will be required to make those tools display
precisely what you want.  Batteries not included.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                       School Rd