The FreeBSD Foundation

Jay Moore jaymo at cromagnon.cullmail.com
Wed Dec 22 22:49:23 PST 2004

On Wednesday 22 December 2004 11:02 am, Troy Mills wrote:

> As some of you may or may not know the FreeBSD Foundation supports the
> FreeBSD developers financially via funds mainly from donations from
> the public. Anyway there is a IRS "1/3rd test" for "public support"
> and the current foundation ratio that is a little out of whack due to
> a few generous people donating large sums of money. I have no idea
> what will happen if they cannot remain a public charity but I'm sure
> the affects wont be positive as they clearly stated that it is in
> there interest to remain a public charity.
>
> I'm in no position to be shelling out lots of money right now but I'm
> going to do my part and I would hope that some of you chip in as well.
> from my understanding they need a larger number of people donating a
> smaller amount to correct the ratio.

QUESTION: Do sales of the FreeBSD CDs support the project? And if so, now?

I thought I _was_ supporting the project through my CD subscription... I was
not aware of the FreeBSD Foundation (thanks for the enlightenment), but
financial support for software developers of any kind seems a bit of a
stretch for a "charity". Perhaps I'm just not in tune with the legal
definition of a charity.

Jay