what can i delete from /usr

Joshua Lokken joshua.lokken at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 07:49:42 PST 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:31:43 UT, goose bla <goosefreebsd at zoznam.sk> wrote:
> hello,,
>
> please. i have not big hdd,, and i need to make free place. what can i
> remove from /usr  and system will be OK ?
>
> example:
>
> /usr/ports/distfiles/   - i can remove all files.
>
> in /usr/ports i can do
> rm -rf \*/work/
>
> i can remove
> /usr/src/sys/i386/compile/*    after reboot with new kernel.
>
> can i remove /usr/src/sys/amd64 or /alpha  if a have i386 platform ?

Yes.  In fact, if you have tuned your kernel to your liking, you
can just as well do:

# rm -r /usr/src/sys

And if you don't plan to rebuild the system anytime soon, you
could remove even more:

# rm -r /usr/src/*

Other candidates for removal on my /usr partition are:

/usr/games       - this server don't need no stinking games!
/usr/sup            - I keep my cvsup stuff elsewhere

And, you can remove old cruft from /usr/obj, like:

# chflags -R noschg /usr/obj
# rm -rf /usr/obj/*

HTH,

--