fsck locks up SMP system (5.3-REL)

Marco Beishuizen marco at beishuizen.info
Wed Dec 22 05:54:41 PST 2004

On stardate Wed, 22 Dec 2004, the wise O. Hartmann entered:

> Please try to boot your system in single user mode (type '4' in the start
> screen, where the countdown can be watched)
> an do a 'fsck -y'. Then watch whether your box gets stuck or.
> If it also get stuck in single user mode, please report again. I'm very
> interestes in this!

Thanks for the reply,

In single user mode it didn't get stuck and it looks like it repaired some
things. In the /usr, /home and /var filesystems "lost+found" directories
were created with some files in them. Also a "fsck_snapshot"-file was
created in /home/.snap/

Now I'm curious what to do with the files in the lost+found directories;
can I delete them safely or do I have to do something with it? Are
the filesystems really repaired and ok again or will the system crash some
day because some files are still broken?

The system works again but I'm not very confident it stays this way. I'm
thinking of installing 4.10-R again.

Marco

--
"When you are in it up to your ears, keep your mouth shut."