Running own servers

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Wed Dec 22 04:42:31 PST 2004

On 12/21/04 08:14 PM, Joshua Tinnin sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 10:59:51PM -0500, RL wrote:
> > >
> > > You will have problems doing this unless you have a static IP. I don't
> > > think any cable service offers that. You can run a DNS server on an
> > > internal network in your case. It's also possible to run a dynamic IP
> > > resolver service, like No-IP's (dns/noip), but that is far from perfect,
> > > unless you're just doing this for testing. For any real-world purpose,
> > > you really have to have a static IP and a fully-qualified hostname. I
> > > have read of people running their own servers for everyday use using
> > > something like No-IP, but if you're running a mail server, you will most
> > > likely have to deal with mail being rejected because of blacklisting
> > > (many ISPs block all major ISPs' dynamic blocks from sending to their
> > > mail servers to prevent spam), as well as reverse dns problems. It can
> > > work alright for a small website server setup for fun or testing, or
> > > something that won't require complicated network protocols.
> >
> > I just called my cable modem ISP (adelphia) and they said a static IP
> > address is $130 per month!!!!!! Forget that!  Now what are my other
> > options? I do have a dynDNS address for my dynamic IP, but I can't run
> > a DNS server and do reverse DNS with that. :(
>
> Well, that's news to me. I guess it was just a matter of time before
> cable providers started offering static IP. Even so, you're probably
> best off shopping around a bit, although you most likely won't find
> anything that's $40/mo., but who knows? One advantage of going with a
> smaller provider with a good reputation is that your IP won't be
> blacklisted (or there is much less likelihood of it). One problem with
> so many people running servers these days is that you don't know who to
> trust, so whole IP blocks of major ISPs end up being blacklisted, and
> not just the dynamic blocks, but this is more likely to happen if the
> ISP is careless about spam. If you're going to go through with it and
> spend the extra money, make sure to do some research and get a good IP
> with a reputable company.

Comcast/AT&T/MediaOne has been offering static IPs for a few years.
They've just never advertised them very thoroughly - and with good
reason, they're not the least bit competitive with the other options
out there.  I've always suspected that they just don't want to do it
so they mask in a "hassle surcharge".

Even if your IP block is blacklisted, as MOST dynamic blocks are,
decent ISPs often have their own relays.  Even if it's not an open
relay (which hopefully it isn't) you can set up sendmail or postfix to
do the authentication and relay through your ISP.  This works fine for
me.

> As for other options, you're kinda stuck with the problems of reverse
> dns, except if your IP isn't released for a long time, but then you're
> sort of gambling. Anyway, it's kind of a drag, I remember a time not
> long ago when static IPs with shell accounts on dialup were cheap, but
> now that so many people have broadband, you really have to pony up a bit
> of extra cash to get your IP out of the swamp of IP blocks full of
> zombied machines. But you can always do some testing on your own to see
> what would work for you.

That still assumes rDNS is critical.  It's not for lots of things.
Even commercial ventures often gloss over the rDNS side of DNS
administration.

Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

Deflector shields just came on, Captain.