Running own servers

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Tue Dec 21 20:26:43 PST 2004

Frank Knobbe wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 22:16 -0600, Chris wrote:
>
>>>Or find someone with public name servers that is willing to pull zones
>>>from your name server. Your domains then reference those 3rd party name
>>>servers, but not your own. But since those 3rd party name servers pull
>>>zones from your box, you are still in control of your zones as far as
>>>configuration of zone information is concerned.
>

>>I can't see how that will work. If an IP block say belongs to Verizon,
>>THEY are authoritive. You just can't "steal" stuff and have it resolve
>>both ways.
>

> For reverse DNS, that is correct. You still won't be able to do reverse
> DNS. However, forward DNS works just fine.
>
> I have a friend for example that administrates his own zone files for
> the two domains he owns. My primary name server pulls that info from his
> box, and my secondaries will pull it from my primary. His domains all
> reference my name servers. That way the domains use stable name servers,
> but he is still able to make changes (i.e. new CNAME and A records)
> without my involvement.
>
> Again, this is only for forward resolution. Reverse resolution has
> always to be delegated by the IP block owner to a stable name server
> within that block. I'm not aware of any ISP who would delegate reverse
> resolution to an address outside of their control.
>
> Cheers,
> Frank

Agreed - this will work for him. Along with DynDNS. In any event, he'll
run into other issues if he runs a mail server (we won't get into that).

The real answer here is this - have the user register a domain. have the
ISP in question host it - then the ISP will do the reverse DNS for him.

That's the easiest way I would think if the objective is reverse. If not
- then it's moot.

--
Best regards,
Chris

No matter how strong the breeze when you leave the dock
once you have reached the furthest point from port
the wind will die.