No latin characters :(

Mike Brown mike at hyperreal.org
Tue Dec 21 19:12:01 PST 2004

Mário Gamito wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I did everything just as you told me.
> When i type a latin letter like á, etc., i get a greek letter :(

Internally, your "á" is probably byte 0xE1, as that is how it is defined by
the ISO-8859-1 character map, and I assume that it's being interpreted
correctly on the input side. If this byte is interpreted for output/display
according to another character map, then you will see some other character
that you didn't intend. For example, if it looks like "ß" (Latin small letter
sharp s, which is used when writing the German language), then the byte is
being interpreted according to CP437.

If you tell us what character you get, it may help. We also need to know what
you are using for display. Anything you can tell us about your setup, and how
*we* can reproduce your results... There are so many possible points of
failure, and you have not told us enough.

Are you using the console (using hardware text modes), or are you doing this
via an X Window session and a terminal window, or are you SSHing in and
looking at everything through a Windows or Mac OS X environment? If you're not
doing this at the console, then what SSH or terminal app are you using and how
do you have it configured? In what are you typing the non-ASCII characters --
a shell? a text editor? Which one? All of these things make a difference.

-Mike