Make crashes when installing kernel

David LeCount snailboy1 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 15:03:38 PST 2004

I just installed FreeBSD 5.0 from cd on a 486 and I'm
trying to update it to 5.3 which is on my better
computer. Following the handbook, I used NFS to mount
/usr/src and /usr/obj from the new machine to the old
one. Then I made buildworld and buildkernel on the new
machine with no problems. Then I went to single-user
mode on the old machine (NFS mounts still valid) and
tried to make installworld. Make immediately crashed,
apparently calling a bad system call. I tried using
the make that was created in /usr/obj but it did
exactly the same thing. I was advised by someone to
build everything like the following:

make -D NO_CPU_CFLAGS=true -D NO_CPU_COPTFLAGS=true -j
4 buildworld
make -D NO_CPU_CFLAGS=true -D NO_CPU_COPTFLAGS=true -j
4 buildkernel KERNCONF=GATEWAY

but still the same issue. I don't think it's a problem
with what architecture it's building for anyway. I'm
desperate for help. I can't access the internet on my
own computer until I get this machine running and it's
way too slow to compile a kernel itself. Thanks.