Anyone use cplay? I have a question

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Tue Dec 21 10:37:34 PST 2004

First off, this program is kick-ass, everything I was looking for,
simplicity and minimalism at its best. The basic commands took me 10
minutes to master, it plays everything including mp3 streams / mp3
stream playlists, has a file manager style music browser (In windows I
used explorer to manage my well organized music collection), enqueue
functions (used the Winamp explorer shell extension of the same name 90%
of the time), and I can use it at the console. also only needs Python
for it to work.

For those not in the know, cplay is "a curses front-end for various
audio players"
http://www.tf.hut.fi/~flu/cplay/
in ports under audio/cplay

Alright... to my questions (posting them here, an Cc'ing the guy in the
ports Makefile and the author, because cplay is "/insanely underground/"
and I can't find any user support, docs, etc):

1. How do I get gnome's launcher to play with multiple commands? what I
want it to do is change to the base directory of my music library and
then launch cplay, I tried all different ways but nothing worked, I
ended up just making a two line batch script and launching that, also
what I would like to do is launch cplay with a negative nice (cd
~/library/Audio && nice -5 cplay) but being a normal user account you
cannot do this, how do I handle that (SUDO? I've never used it, unless
it's the same thing as "su"?).

Segway... The man page for nice is misleading, it says to use "nice -n
num# command" but we all know that won't work "nice: Badly formed
number." it should say "nice -/+num# command", anyways thats real nice
nice :-)

2. When I first installed and used cplay I only had mpg123 install and
It refused to play some songs for no reason at all (I could play them at
the command line with mpg123) so I installed most all the players that
cplay can use and copy'd over the default .cplayrc file to my home dir.
this fixed the problem but left me wondering if I need all those players
installed... So how does cplay/.cplayrc work, does It find the first
compatible player for the file type and only use it OR does it pick the
first player it finds for that file type and if it doesn't work it moves
on to the next compatible player? here is my .cplayrc file:

PLAYERS = [
    FrameOffsetPlayer("ogg123 -q -v -k %d %s", "\.ogg$"),
    FrameOffsetPlayer("splay -f -k %d %s", "(^http://|\.mp[123]$)", 38.28),
    FrameOffsetPlayer("mpg123 -q -v -k %d %s", "(^http://|\.mp[123]$)",
38.28),
    FrameOffsetPlayer("mpg321 -q -v -k %d %s", "(^http://|\.mp[123]$)",
38.28),
    TimeOffsetPlayer("madplay -v --no-tty-control
--display-time=remaining -s %d %s", "\.mp[123]$"),
    NoOffsetPlayer("mikmod -q -p0 %s",
"\.(mod|xm|fm|s3m|med|col|669|it|mtm)$"),    NoOffsetPlayer("xmp -q %s",
"\.(mod|xm|fm|s3m|med|col|669|it|mtm|stm)$"),
    NoOffsetPlayer("play %s", "\.(aiff|au|cdr|mp3|ogg|wav)$"),
    NoOffsetPlayer("speexdec %s", "\.spx$")
    ]

My installed players are:
splay
mpg123
mpg321
mikmod

3. Is there a way to launch cplay from my web browser (firefox) when I
click on a mp3 stream to listen too, I only briefly looked into this so
it my be a very basic question. currently I just save the .pls files to
~/library/Audio/Netradio and then just queue them up with cplay.

Dam Jochem, can I be your friend, I need the number for the 2nd girl on
the right?: http://jk.yazzy.org/images/hccza62.jpg :-)