bash- superuser

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Tue Dec 21 03:54:59 PST 2004

* Erik Trulsson <ertr1013 at student.uu.se> [1234 11:34]:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 10:14:15AM +0000, Dick Davies wrote:

> > I thought the issue was the ldconfig path not being set up at the point
> > that pppd called su?
> >
> > pppd lives in /usr, after all :)
>
> Not quite.  The issue was that the /etc/rc.d/ppp-user script calls su.
> su starts a shell - in this case it tried to start bash since that was
> root's shell. At that point in the process the system was not yet
> configured to find the libraries bash needed.  ppp as such was fairly
> irrelevant - it was su that caused the problems.

Sure, I mean that the filesystem *is* mounted at this point, so
Greg not having a separate /usr won't help in this case.

> > Assuming that's wrong, doesn't freebsd have a notion of 'critical filesystems'
> > and and 'pre-networking filesystems' a la NetBSD?
> > I used to have to set this on netbsd to get wicontrol from /usr before dhcp....
>
> Probably, but /usr/local is probably not normally considered to be one.

No, exactly, but my point is that if you were going to be using stuff
from /usr/local, then you could set this in rc.conf and be sure:

a) it was mounted
b) ldconfig had at least looked at /usr/local/lib

b) is tricky, on netbsd we generally do our linking at compile time
so this kind of thing isn't an issue, so long as /usr/local/lib is
available bash will work).

--
'When the door hits you in the ass on the way out, clean off the smudge
 your ass leaves, please'