Remote system directories

Andrew P. infofarmer at mail.ru
Mon Dec 20 20:30:20 PST 2004

Hello!

I've got a freebsd box with a 2Gb hard drive and a server with a lot of
free space. I want to make use of nfs and let the "small" box mount most
of its directories in read-write mode from the server. What directories
are safe to be moved to a remote location? The idea is that should the
server go down, the box must still be bootable and accessible via ssh.

I've read hier manual page, but it doesn't go deep into how bad the
system need each directory at startup - and how heavy access is to each
folder during normal operation.

Can the system boot into multi-user mode in case /usr fails to mount?
I'm now experimenting with different subfolders of /usr and other dirs,
and I'd be glad to hear a piece of advice.

Best wishes,
Andrew