ECC status in FreeBSD

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Dec 20 14:25:43 PST 2004

On Dec 20, 2004, at 3:55 PM, Brett Glass wrote:
> I'm getting ready to build some (hopefully) high reliability servers
> with
> ECC memory. I'd like to put FreeBSD on them. What facilities (if any)
> does
> FreeBSD have for:
>
> 1) Reporting the status of ECC memory (errors corrected, errors
> uncorrected, etc.)?
> 2) Responding to uncorrectable errors?

A quick check of the archives suggests a FreeBSD version of a kernel
module which pays attention to the ECC status of various chipsets is
available from:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=113348+0+archive/2001/
freebsd-hackers/20010318.freebsd-hackers

...based on the work for Linux at:

http://www.anime.net/~goemon/linux-ecc/

> 3) Mapping out portions of memory that produce repeated errors?

You can set an option in the loader to limit the physical memory
available to FreeBSD, which could serve the purpose.

However, your RAM isn't a hard drive, so the ad-sector remapping used
by hard drives is not fully applicable.  Your machine is expected not
to have any part of memory fail reproducably, but if you do, it's time
to use the warranty and replace the entire chip.

> It seems to me that, for an operating system that prides itself on
> server
> stability and performance, such features are a must.

ECC is a fine idea, but the motherboard chipset pretty much does
everything that is required (except for the reporting/syslogging), so
the kernel doesn't need to be specially involved for the system to
benefit from ECC protection.

--
-Chuck