RAID0 problem array broken

Matthias F. Brandstetter haimat at lame.at
Mon Dec 20 12:03:06 PST 2004

---------- quoting Karsten Fuhrmann ----------
> But now my ar0 stripe will not be recognised anymore.
> /var/log/messages showed this :
> Dec 17 03:24:44 darkstar kernel: ad6: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
> Dec 17 03:24:49 darkstar kernel: ad6: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
> Dec 17 03:24:49 darkstar kernel: ad6: deleted from ar0 disk1
> Dec 17 03:24:49 darkstar kernel: ar0: ERROR - array broken
> Dec 17 03:24:49 darkstar kernel: ad6: WARNING - removed from
> configuration Dec 17 03:24:49 darkstar kernel: ar0: ERROR - array broken

I had a very similar problem with a RAID1 on a raid hardware controller. I
managed to re-build the broken array from within the controller's BIOS
during bootup.

It seems this error comes from the broken DMA support on 5.3, so I disabled
DMA for my disks on this server via sysctl.

Hey guys, what's the status of this DMA issue?

Greetings, Matthias

--
As I got up in front of them, I felt an intoxication that had nothing to
do with alcohol.  It was the intoxication of being a public spectacle.

  -- Homer Simpson
     Dancin' Homer