bash - superuser

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Mon Dec 20 06:50:05 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 01:32:53PM +0000, Dick Davies typed:
> * Gerhard Meier <gemei2 at web.de> [1207 12:07]:
> > On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 08:41:57AM -0200, Giuliano Cardozo Medalha wrote:
> > > I have a machine with FreeBSD 5.3 - release -p2.
> > >
> > > I have installed bash from ports.
> > >
> > > How is possible to use bash in root account ?
> >
> > Do not change the shell of the root account. If you have /usr or
> > /usr/local on a separate partition, and you cannot mount for some
> > reason, you wont be able to fix that, without booting from
> > another device.
>
> No, but you'll still be able to use /bin/sh when going single user, so
> what's the big deal?

Using a shell not contained in the root filesystem can cause problems
even when not in single user mode. There are enough examples in the archives.

> I really don't get what the problem is with this 'sh is on the root' argument.
> Using bash is a lot more productive for many people, so why not let them use it?

No problem for people to be productive with bash or whatever shell they
prefer. Just not for root. You should not even use the root account unless
absolutely necessary.