cron not running job

Tom Vilot tom at vilot.com
Mon Dec 20 06:46:00 PST 2004

> I'm having problems getting my freshly update FreeBSD 5.3 system to run
> my cron jobs.  Logged in as root, I enter the job in root's crontab with
> the following command
>
> crontab -e
>
> I enter the job in the following format:
>
> 05      10      *       *       *       /root/cronjobs/cvs-sup.sh
>
> The script has the following permissions:
>
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  255 Dec 13 10:39 cvs-sup.sh
>
> I can run the script as root with no errors.  I look in the
> /var/log/cron log and I don't see any attempt by cron to run the job.
> There is no error either.    There are entries for the edit of the
> crontab:

This drove me batty for a while. You should see some emails to root
regarding this. Typically, it's a path issue.

In your cvs-sup.sh use the full path to the binaries you are trying to
execute. Like this:

/usr/local/bin/cvsup /root/ports-supfile > /tmp/ports-log 2>&1
/usr/local/sbin/portsdb -Uu

Also, you can use /etc/periodic/daily rather than using cron directly.