Sendmail: host name lookup failure

Paul A. Hoadley paulh at logicsquad.net
Mon Dec 20 04:24:46 PST 2004

Hi Chuck,

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 03:57:58PM -0500, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> That hostname gets an NXDOMAIN failure from here:

Sorry, I should have been more explicit in the original: the
nameserver in question is serving a private LAN in the 192.168 space.

I have actually solved the problem.  I intend to post a summary for
the archive when I return to the site later in the week, at which time
I'll be able to identify the OS/nameserver combination at fault.
Here's a teaser, though: it's a Microsoft product (I just don't know
which), and it's returing SERVFAIL status for a AAAA record query.
Curiously, sendmail's WorkAroundBrokenAAAA option did not help, and I
don't know why.  Daryl Tester suggested using a mailertable entry, and
this worked.

--
Paul.

w  http://logicsquad.net/