5.3 Release and Realtek

ctodd at chrismiller.com ctodd at chrismiller.com
Sun Dec 19 23:14:14 PST 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Kevin Kinsey wrote:

> Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:44, ctodd at chrismiller.com wrote:
> >
> >>The problem was that none of the snd_* modules were built, and I did
> >>rebuild the kernel. Once I built the modules, I was able to load the
> >>drivers. I think you need to add "device sound" to get these modules to
> >>build automgically.
> >
> >No, the modules are built regardless of the kernel options you use.
>
> Hmm; how did ctodd know they weren't?

I have a dual personality :-) My original post to hackers from admin2 was
caught by the moderation mechanism, ctodd is what I signed up with, I just
don't like to post under my regular alias because I get spammed to death.
Oh well, too late now.

> I had one box that seemed weird in that it couldn't kldload anything; I
> somehow discovered that it had left /boot/kernel/ empty, but put all the
> *ko's in /boot/modules/ (or was it the other way 'round??)
>
> ... Anyway, once I copied everything over to the other dir,
> no problems with "kldload" (or sound, or ....)
>
> Could this be what happened in this case?

No, they (snd_*) just don't get built. There is no /boot/modules
directory, at least in 5.3. I put off playing with 5.x until a reasonably
mature release was available, maybe this directory did exist in an earlier
5.x release?

Chris