migrating from thunderbird to mutt?

Matthias Buelow mkb at mukappabeta.de
Sun Dec 19 17:13:54 PST 2004

Nikolas Britton wrote:

> How do I get my old email (from thunderbird, mbox?) into mutt?

TB keeps its local folders in mbox files at
~/.thunderbird/xyz.default/Mail/Local\ Folders.  Just copy them over, or
read them via mutt directly (and store the messages where you want them,
typically ~/Mail).

> Can mutt handle um like 5+ email address and have them all separated and
> be able to send from diffrent email accounts?

No.

> If I remember right mutt is just a mail reader, so how do I get mail to
> and sent from mutt?

By setting up your MTA (sendmail, postfix, qmail).  Alternatively, you
can use mutt with pop3 or imap4 but its support for these protocols is
primitive at best.  And then you'd still have to configure sendmail for
outgoing mail.

> How does it handle hyperlinks, if I select something will it open up in
> firefox or whatever?

No.

> Message filtering, for example I have all the different freebsd mailing
> lists automatically put into different folders, and junk mail sorting?

No.  You have to setup procmail (or a similar program) to do that for you.

> Speell check?

No.  You have to setup your editor for running ispell or similar.

--
   Matthias Buelow; mkb@{mukappabeta,informatik.uni-wuerzburg}.de