FreeBSD doesn't even boot!

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Sun Dec 19 13:46:26 PST 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:38:43 +0100, jsha wrote
> Hello all.
>
> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 5.3 (using the mini-installation ISO)
> on my new HP/Compaq stationary. It has to Serial-ATA harddrives, and
> I want one for FreeBSD and one for Windows.
>
> I installed FreeBSD along with BootMgr, but it does not want to boot.
> It just makes silly beeps. I am given two choices, F1 for FreeBSD and
> F4 for Drive1. More recently, I attempted to install Windows XP on
> this Drive1. It removed my MBR, but in turn it successfully booted
> Windows. So I reinstalled FreeBSD, but now whenever I select FreeBSD
> it just reboots my computer.

Might be a conflict of Windows expecting its own MBR, but suddenly sees an
unknown one. MBRs are nasty things. Scroll down for more info.

> When I select Drive1, it loads some kind
> of MAC addressing scheme by HP and then freezes.

It isn't going to help us too much when you say "some kind" :) You have to be
more specific. On other words, tell us exactly what you see.

You might want to consider installing a standard MBR during the installation
(so not the FreeBSD bootloader). Then only FreeBSD will boot if you have
selected the drive as the primary drive in the bios (assuming you have two
disks). If you need your machine badly but can't boot Windows yet? Just select
the other drive in the bios and you're ready to go :)

If everything is running, install GRUB or LILO, whatever you prefer. Works
better in some cases, and looks nicer as well :)

Cheers,

Jorn