Getting back my shell is slow, Eterm/bash

cpghost at cordula.ws cpghost at cordula.ws
Sun Dec 19 11:27:31 PST 2004

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 05:00:33PM +0100, Erik Norgaard wrote:
> Now the problem is that every time I exit some console program, less,
> man, vi or a remote shell and return to the shell (bash 2.05) in Eterm,
> the console hangs for some random time before giving me back my CLI.

I've noticed this too, but not only with the console. Just wild
guessing: the scheduler needs a long time to wake up processes
that have been swapped out. I don't know if this bug has been (completely)
fixed yet, 'cause I have no machine that I could upgrade right now.

> I have no such problems on 4.8 with bash2 or 5.3 with bash3, when I
> login with ssh from my local Eterm console. I have had the problem since
> upgrading to 6.0 from 5.2.1, but I can't exclude that this may be a
> problem with Eterm (0.9.2_1).

Just check if the sleepy shell has been swapped out before. This bug has
been often reported in disguise (X takes long time to exit, ssh takes
long time to connect, whatever). It's often not the exiting process'
fault, but the swapped out parent's or daemon's long wakeup latency.

But again, I'm just wildguessing. This bug may well have been fixed
since last time I've cvsup-ed.

Regards,
-cpghost.

--