FreeBSD loader

Thierry Lacoste th.lacoste at wanadoo.fr
Sun Dec 19 03:32:10 PST 2004

> > > with ACPI is the default, is it not?
> > >
> > No. When I let the loader timeout, it does not load
> > the acpi.ko module. This is the second choice.
> >
> > This is the way /boot/beastie.4th operates;
> > at least for FreeBSD 5.2 installed from
> > the freebsdmall CDs.
>
> Huh, that's strange, I could have sworn it was on mine...but nevermind
> that, on to a solution.  Ideally, all the acpi option does is load the
> acpi module, so if you use /boot/loader.conf (man loader.conf) you
> could use the load keyword and it should load it right up on boot.

It works. Thanks.
Now the problem with your solution is that the acpi module is loaded
unconditionally. I'd like to make acpi the default but keep the possibility
of loading FreeBSD without acpi in case there's a problem with it.
In other words, my present beastie menu begins with
  1. Boot FreeBSD [default]
  2. Boot FreeBSD with ACPI enabled
and I'd like to just swap these options.

Regards,
Thierry.