combining 2 ADSL Lines

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun Dec 19 01:07:40 PST 2004

Hexren,

  People have asked about your scenario dozens of times on various
DSL usergroups for at least the last 4 years.  We see this all
the time on the Zebra and Quagga mailing lists.

  In a word, it's not possible.

  I've told numerous people it's not possible on these mailing
lists and been sworn at, had people tell me I didn't know what
I was talking about, etc. etc.  None of these people who
were insistent that there was a way to get it to work ever ended
up doing so then coming back and saying 'nanner nanner nanner, I
was right and you were wrong'

  While your introduction of a second server 'in the internet'
is an interesting variation of this question, it's still impossible.

  IF you get multiple DSL lines from the SAME isp, and assuming
that isp is setup for it, you could theoretically run multilink PPP.

  Most people in your situation end up just setting NAT's on their DSL lines
and use the same internal IP range for each NAT device, this creates
multiple default gateways on their internal networks, then they
put one of the default gateways on half of the machines and the
other default gateway on the other half.  Quite obviously for a
single FTP or whatever transfer, this isn't going to double the
speed.  But if you have a bunch of systems on your LAN it works
OK for splitting the load.

Ted