make buildworld dies

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Dec 18 11:48:10 PST 2004

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 11:49:53AM -0500, Zachary Huang wrote:
> Sorry for so many questions. On yet another FreeBSD (4.2), I  first
> did a sysinstall to upgrade to 5.10, it messed up everything because
> the source (/usr/src) did not match all the config files, so sendmail
> complains a lot and cannot ssh or telnet to the system.  I then did a
> cvsup (without specify which release, simply "cvs") successfully (took
> like 10 hrs),  then today I tried to
>
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
>
> after about 8 min,  it stopped with the following error:
> cc -O -pipe -DSHELL -I .I/usr/src/bin/sh -Wall -Wfont (? cannot see my
> own writing) -c /usr/src/bin/sh
> /usr/src/bin/sh/mknodes.c:101.
> initializer element is not constant
> ***error code 1
> Stop in /usr/src/bin/sh
> *** error code 1
> stop in /usr/src.
>
> now I am sort of stuck.  I made a new kernel the day before the
> sysinstall, but now I cannot even try compile a new kernel because it
> compains the config file is newer than what it wants.
>
> is my system totally messed up?  right now apache still works, but I
> can telnet or ssh out but to the host....

It sounds like you're a bit confused about what you're doing..first,
there is no "FreeBSD 5.10", so it's not clear what you're aiming for,
and secondly it looks like you didn't go through the documented
upgrade procedure (see handbook) so you ended up with some kind of
broken partially-upgraded system.  The best thing for you to do would
be to grab the installation media for the release you want to install,
and reinstall over the top of your broken system.

Kris