upgrading FreeBSD

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Dec 17 14:16:55 PST 2004

Miketack at aol.com wrote:
> We currently have FreeBSD but we're running out of hard disk space. How can
> we get a larger hard disk?

Most people buy a larger hard drive from a computer store, but YMMV.  :-)
Look at a yellow pages for a local CompUSA or see www.pricewatch.com for one
site which provides price quotes.  You will almost certainly get better prices
if you go online.

> Is it possible to put the old hard disk info on the new hard disk?

Sure.  FreeBSD comes with software like dump and tar which can backup and
restore your data from one drive to the other.

> Also, should we upgrade our software to your newer release?
> Ours  is 5 years old.

If nobody has installed any software updates on the system in five years, then
yes, you probably should upgrade to a more recent version.  It would be
interesting to provide a description of your hardware and "uname -a".

> Our office is located in southern New Jersey (just outside of  Philadelphia).
> Is there anyone in the area who can help us out with this.

I'd imagine you could find someone in your region to provide FreeBSD sysadmin
support on a consulting basis...

--
-Chuck